Soft drinks are fattening, this is a fact not a particular opinion of mine. New York is putting a ban on soft drink sizes and now Coke has come out with what I can only describe as a cynical ploy to make themselves look as though they care about the issue of obesity.
Some highlights if you don’t want to watch the whole video:
- We’ve lowered calories across our products and industry
- We’ve created smaller, portion controlled sizes
- We’ve added the calorie count on the front of our packaging
- We’ve started putting water, juices and low or no calorie products into schools
- We’ve given money to charities that promote exercise
- It’s up to you to burn more calories than you put in
It’s hard not to feel a bit fuzzy about the effort Coke has put into their marketing effort but ultimately this is the same as the cigarette industry offering ten packs with a lower tar content. The effort required get rid of a single can of Coke is an hour run and the picture below truly explains what you’re putting into your body. Lower calorie drinks and juices still have a fair share of sugar in them.